Monday, September 1, 2008

McCain Modifies Day One, Jefferson Prepares For Primary

I agree with John McCain's decision to cut back the festivities of Day One of the RNC Convention due to the impending arrival of Hurricane Gustav at the Gulf Coast. Not wishing to repeat the mistakes of the past and to appear shamefully partisan, McCain will spend time along the Gulf Coast initially monitoring the situation. I look for the GOP to pretend that Katrina never happened, and to say, in effect, "Look at us now...See, we do care, we do want to protect ordinary citizens from the wrath of Mother Nature."

I disagree, however, with U.S. Congressman William Jefferson (D-LA), as he stands ready to compete in this Saturday's Democratic House Primary in Louisiana. Looking to win a 10th Term in the U.S. House, I think that Congressman Jefferson' s recent Federal indictment on Bribery charges should give the man a moment of pause as to whether or not he is still fit to serve the public interest. As he awaits the start of his federal bribery trial in Virginia later this year, I think that most thinking Democrats would agree that Jefferson gave up the right to serve the people when he so blatantly began serving himself.

How do I know this? I remind my readers that the FBI found close to $90,000 in bribes in Rep. Jefferson's house when they searched it, money he denied knowledge of.

Where did they find it?

In his freezer.

I rest my case.

No comments: